Liposuction 101: What You Should Know and What to Expect
Have you made up your mind to get the liposuction surgery that you want? Whether you are doing it for health or aesthetic purposes, Dr. Thanh Nguyen, a respected Plastic Surgeon in Westminster, California, can safely perform this procedure for you.
However, even if you have made up your mind about this procedure, are you still feeling nervous? Do you still have a lot of questions about what to do and what will happen? To help ease some of your worries, we are here to give you a general idea of what will happen. Hopefully, this will allow you to better prepare yourself – physically, mentally, and emotionally.
What should I know before the procedure?
Before the procedure, Dr. Thanh Nguyen will have a one-on-one consultation with you first. During this consultation, you will be talking about the benefits and risks, costs, options, and goals of the procedure. You may also ask any and all questions that you have to help ease your worries. Additionally, you should also mention any and all medications that you are taking (prescription medications, over-the-counter drugs, and supplements) and any allergies that you have.
If you decide to proceed, your surgeon will give you specific instructions on how to prepare. These instructions may include alcohol and diet restrictions.
What to Expect
Your liposuction procedure will take place at our fully accredited ambulatory surgery center. Our surgery center is fully accredited by The Joint Commission and meets California state laws and standards. We are a trusted Cosmetic Surgeon in California.
- When you arrive at our facility, you will be welcomed and assisted by our friendly and helpful staff. They will ensure that your needs are met every step of the way.
- You will be led to the surgery center where you will be greeted by your surgeon.
- Before the liposuction procedure starts, your surgeon may mark the areas of your body that will be operated on. With your consent, they may also take pictures for before-and-after comparisons.
- After surgery preparations are done, you will be injected with an anesthesia. It can either be general anesthesia (it will keep you asleep during the procedure and prevent you from feeling any pain) or local anesthesia (you will be awake during the procedure but you won’t feel any pain). The use of anesthesia will be determined by your surgeon.
- If a significant amount of fat was removed during the procedure, you may have to stay overnight in the facility. Otherwise, you can go home the day of the procedure. However, make sure that you have someone to drive you home afterward.
How long is the recovery period?
As mentioned, you may have stay overnight in the facility or go home afterward depending on the extent of the surgery performed. However, you should expect soreness, bruising, and swelling for at least a few weeks. Your surgeon may also ask you to wear a compression garment for at least 1-2 months after your surgery to control swelling. You may also be prescribed antibiotics to prevent infection. Please take note that the recovery period differs from one person to another.
So, if you are ready to go through the liposuction procedure, contact us at 714-890-4000. We also offer other Plastic Surgery Procedures in California.